Arc’teryx Equipment, a global design company specializing in technical high-performance apparel and equipment, is launching ReBird – a program that connects its guests to its ongoing initiatives in circularity, including upcycling, resale and care and repair.
ReBird marks an organization-wide commitment to shift away from a take-make-waste economy by seeking to adopt and evolve a circular way of operating. It also contributes to the brand’s science-based targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions intensity by 65 percent by 2030.
Guests are able to access the Arc’teryx Used Gear resale initiative through the ReBird program and purchase Arc’teryx’s upcycled Stowe Windshell, made from end-of- the-roll materials reclaimed from the production process, along with the brand’s first upcycled products crafted from post-consumer materials, the Upcycled Tote and Pouch. Guests also can use the program to explore the Arc’teryx Care and Repair service.
Guests in New York and Chicago will be able to shop pieces from Arc’teryx Used Gear in person for the first time since its launch in 2019. These pieces – which are inspected, cleaned and repaired to the brand’s strict standards – will be displayed for a limited time this summer at in-store events in the cities.
“At Arc’teryx we have always built products that last, and durability is crucial to how we see ourselves contributing to a more circular economy and achieving our global climate goals,” said Katie Wilson, senior manager Social & Environmental Sustainability. “It enables us to do fun work like make new product from old, resell used gear and repair. While some of this work has been happening as long as we’ve been in existence, some of it is brand new.”
The digital ReBird platform will serve as an interactive space for education and storytelling, where guests can learn more about the brand’s continued evolution in designing products that excel in performance while being crafted to be re-crafted and made from safe and renewable materials.
“To us, circularity means continuously seeking to design out waste and pollution from our systems and to respect the resources of our finite planet,” said Wilson. “ReBird is one way that Arc’teryx is bringing this to life.”
ReBird products that are now available:
- Upcycled Totes: Well-loved Arc’teryx GORE-TEX jackets that are no longer wearable are resurrected and upcycled into a limited run of everyday urban carry-all, with reinforced straps, thoughtful features and exceptional Arc’teryx craftsmanship.
- Upcycled Pouches: Arc’teryx GORE-TEX jackets worn down by a lifetime of adventures are salvaged and repurposed into the new ReBird Pouches.
- Stowe Windshell: A performance hoody, with a conscience, the Stowe Windshell is perfect for days when winds and misty weather require lightweight, packable protection. Available in women’s and men’s fits, it is crafted from end-of-the-roll but top quality breathable fabric which has been reconfigured for this limited edition offering.
The ReBird approach covers:
- Upcycled and Repurposed Products: Top-quality materials saved from waste, and worn-beyond-optimum-function gear are reimagined to gain new life as a series of unique custom offerings.
- Arc’teryx Used Gear: Available in Canada and the United States, the resale initiative helps keep quality gear in play for longer to reduce its environmental impact. Guests are invited to trade in items they no longer wear, in exchange for a gift card. The products are repaired, cleaned and listed on the Arc’teryx resale site: https://www.usedgear.arcteryx.com. To mark the ReBird launch, Arc’teryx is presenting Used Gear pop-ups in select stores in New York City and Chicago throughout the summer.
- Arc’teryx Bleecker Icon Store, New York, today through Saturday
- Arc’teryx Soho Store, New York, NY, May 27-29
- Arc’teryx Chicago Store, Chicago, June 17-19
- Care & Repair Service: With the intention of helping guests increase the longevity of their products, Arc’teryx offers care and repair tips, warranty support and paid repair services, via its website and a series of videos: https://arcteryx.com/ca/en/help/product-care.