Despite climbing gas prices, consumers are eager to travel. Millions are expected to hit the road at the end of this month. New data from Kampgrounds of America’s May edition of the Monthly Research Report shows an estimated 18 million households will kick off their summer camping season over Memorial Day weekend.
As camping continues to dominate the travel industry amid the pandemic, KOA is keeping a pulse on campers with its Monthly Research Reports. Additional data from the May edition include:
- Camping is considered the safest form of travel amid the pandemic, with six in ten campers in May saying it’s safer than other forms of travel.
- The top 10 states for Memorial Day camping include: California, Colorado, Florida, Missouri, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Wisconsin.
- Two-thirds of campers are vaccinated or intend to be soon, but one in five campers are waiting for more people to be vaccinated before solidifying their summer camping plans.
- The majority of campers, 72 percent, plan to camp in their own state with an additional 34 percent traveling outside their region.
- While 2020 was a record year for camping, data shows an estimated additional 4.3 million new campers will try camping in 2021 for the first time.