GSI Outdoors, the family-owned outdoor cooking and dining gear brand, has joined Prana’s Responsible Packaging Movement.
While prAna, started their journey towards more sustainable packaging back in 2010, The Responsible Packaging Movement is asking fellow brands, and the worldwide prAna community, to join the journey toward eliminating excess packaging waste from supply chains in a responsible, long-lasting way. And asking people to tag the journey #ReshapePackaging allowing others to learn more sustainable practices.
During the years, GSI Outdoors has also forged strong relationships with nonprofits and environmental causes, giving back to organizations including The Conservation Alliance, Leave No Trace, The Sam Project, and Outdoors Empowered. GSI Outdoors routinely sends spare or replacement parts to customers, believing it’s always better to repair a product than replace outright.
GSI Outdoors has several commitments surrounding sustainable packaging, including:
- All new product lines use non-plastic packaging beginning in 2021, wherever possible
- Phase out plastic packaging in existing product lines by 2023, wherever possible
- All paper packaging partially or fully sourced from recycled sources by 2023
- Identify all sources of virgin and non-FSC forest fibers in paper packaging by 2021
- Phase out all virgin or non-FSC forest fibers in paper packaging by 2023
- Switch from traditional to paper tape for all in-house repackaging wherever possible starting 2021
- Investigate other opportunities to reduce packaging waste