North St. launched its 2022 limited-edition Upcycled Collection of packs and panniers, made from tents and banners used at some of the country’s most iconic endurance events. The rugged outdoor fabrics, donated by Life Time and SRAM, have served in the ﬁeld — including at the New York City Triathlon, the Leadville Race Series mountain bike and trail running events in the Colorado Rockies, and the notable marathons and half marathons on the streets of Chicago and Miami.
Now, they are about to hit the road in a whole new way. Moreover, this line of packs is slated to save more than half a ton of waste from the landﬁll this year, including highly water-resistant vinyl and vinyl mesh ideal for recycled use.
“Our main priority is making gear that we’re proud to use, so this project was a perfect ﬁt for North St.,” said Sam Lisieski, North St.’s Sales and Marketing Manager. “Giving these fabrics a second life out on the road is perfectly aligned with our sustainability ambitions.”
“It feels great to have companies in the cycling industry, like Life Time and SRAM, reach out to us and offer materials, too,” he added. “Making panniers and backpacks out of banners from bike races and other endurance sports feels like a love letter to the sport of cycling and the outdoors.”
The limited edition 2022 Upcycled Collection includes:
- LTD Upcycled Pioneer 8 Hip Pack — Reborn into popular culture, this little buddy is slim, simple and stylish. Carry your phone, keys and essentials by your side. It can ﬁt your collection of pens, a small camera, a dice pouch, you name it. Whether you’re out on the town, festival hopping or riding on a lazy Sunday, the Pioneer 8 Hip Pack implores adventure at every turn.
- LTD Upcycled Davis Daypack — The simple design of the Davis Daypack makes it a versatile and utilitarian companion. Comfortable, lightweight and contoured shoulder straps connected by an adjustable sternum strap keep your carry safe and cozy on your back while you chase your dreams.
- LTD Upcycled Gladstone Grocery Pannier — Make commuting or running errands by bike easier with the value grocery pannier. The Gladstone Grocery Pannier is a simple ﬂap-top bicycle gear bag, designed to match the capacity of a shopping tote, which mounts to your front or rear bicycle rack — the perfect companion for your next trip to the market.
- LTS Upcycled Micro Pannier 14L—Hit the trails or bike lanes with North St.’s simple and rugged Micro Panniers. Weighing in at 13.5 ounces, these simple side haulers will stash extra clothing, lunch and snacks, or your work essentials without slowing you down.
Outdoor event tents are a great source of fabric — they’re durable, weatherproof materials and are covered in colors and graphics that make each reclaimed pack completely unique. Colorfast nylon ﬂows from the ﬁelds and sides of the racetracks to usable, rugged packs on the trails and tracks.
The collection includes three fabric options:
- Synthetic canvas similar to a lightweight Cordura sourced from donated Life Time tent walls: This material is featured in the Pioneer 8 Hip Pack, Davis Daypack, and Micro Pannier.
- Sturdy vinyl made from donated Life Time and SRAM banners: This highly water-resistant, rugged material was the choice for the cargo bike favorite, the Gladstone Grocery Pannier.
- A ﬂexible and breezy printed mesh from donated Life Time banners: North St.’s ﬁrst all-mesh pannier bag made from a highly-durable vinyl screen—perfect for riders looking for a lightweight, upcycled pannier with extra airﬂow.
The collection keeps these gently used materials out of the landﬁll and gives them new life and allows North St. to create durable bike bags using fewer virgin materials, closing the gap of a circular economy.
For more information, visit northstbags.com